Skip to main content

Weighted by worry

Extended summer heat has a way of looming like excess baggage. Waiting and wondering when the weather will change parallels the uncertainty of hurricane predictions. How long? How much damage? How many preparations are necessary? These questions arose during the lurking stomach virus my family endured last week. Will you escape it's wrath or are all the precautions pointless?
Instead of weather weight, I've found myself carrying a familiar worry for one of my sons' physical weight. My third-born continues to vacillate between appearing healthy and thriving and lacking energy to play due to his constant low appetite and stomach pains. Every day is a wonder...which child will wake today?
I recently prided myself on overcoming the fears I once held through forced confrontation. After many years of heavy burdens through pregnancy struggles, Levi's little life, and losing many things I once loved, I thought I had conquered all my fears. Yet I failed to see the many names worry wears.
Worry has a way of warping. It camouflages and calls itself insurance. Insurance is a necessary part of increasing possessions. Those living near large bodies of water know full-well the weight of flood insurance. Money is given ahead of storms in order to help lesson the load if and when the real hurricane hits. The future protection gives breathing room in the present uncertainties. The invention of insurance now seems invaluable, but when worry disguises itself as warranty, it is more destructive than a category 4 hurricane.
Roman had a strange "stomach virus" two weeks ago that later unveiled itself to be part of his GI issues. We have been waiting and watching for his tummy trials to turn severe before rescheduling his colonoscopy/endoscopy. Thus, when he was the first hit with last week's virus, I was ready to head to the ER and request immediate procedures in search of some overdue answers. BUT the rest of us (minus little Luca, who had just returned from the hospital), soon fell hard with the same bug quickly changing my concerns. As we have lingered in our lethargic state, I feel physically lighter, but emotionally heavier. I am still trying to pour all my preparedness into precautions. Canning, purchasing sand bags, and filling up gas cans, I am storing up for the next hurricane and pouring all my "money" into helping my kids maintain weight and health, yet I'm actually taking hours off my own life.

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? (Luke 12:25)

I used to believe I no longer worried because I didn't store up food and clothes while concerning myself with having enough stuff. Trusting God's provisions in all areas of my life feels after facing many of my fears, so I must not have any unwarranted worries anymore, right? Wrong.
I saw Jesus' words in new light today. He pointed his disciples away from the needless worry of having enough food and clothing, but I have concerned myself with whether or not Roman will eat enough food and fit into his clothes enough. I'm storing up cans of worry in a different manner, but the underlying issue is all the same. I've stopped trusting in His perfect plan.
How did I quickly revert to my old ways? At what point did I forget his miraculous hand on my second son's weight worries? Why must I lose heart and carry a burden I was never intended to carry? Because I am human, and I need a Savior. Because He wants to carry it for me. Because only then can I help carry the burdens of others. When parents see my joy through repeated children's hospital visits, I can assure them God has seen me through many heavy, hard days. The burden can be light if we let it go, and we must let it go over and over again. We can trust in a greater purpose than storing up superfluous cans and sand bags. While preparedness isn't wrong, there is a fine line between insurance and angst. We will never perfectly predict a hurricane's path because we are not in control of the weather. Likewise, we will never need to perfectly prepare for any other life disaster because we are not in control. The storms will come, and God will always prepare us for His good in His own perfect way. It's a faith that comes only through trials by fire and storms. A faith that is more precious than a perfect fall day!

We hoped to wave goodbye to summer heat at the lake, but it has lingered well into September. 

Luca's joy at the hospital is much more contagious than my own!

The burden of blood clot has given him a trust that I never knew as a child. 

We were both ready to see if his internal birthmark grew while off medicine.

Unfortunately it did grow to cover 20 percent of his airway, which meant an unexpected overnight at CHOA.

We watched, we waited, and we enjoyed alone time together.

The docs collaborated and decided that because he has no breathing issues, we will not return to meds and watch him for two months before scoping again in November. 

After weathering the stomach virus, we all put our minds to sweeter days to come. We will venture out west in two weeks for a two week-long work/family trip, and hiking in Yosemite with a baby on my back meant birthday hiking shoes! Silas said he "set up a great pre-hiking pic for me." Not bad buddy!  Maybe he should set up all our family poses out west! We can't wait! 

We have tried many different options with Roman including dietary changes, incentives, blood work, stool samples, and there's not much left but to put him under. Please pray that God would make it obvious what we need to do to help him or simply watch him without carrying his weight with us. May we have the patience and peace when he refuses to eat, and move forward in the wise way. Also, please pray that Luca's hemangioma doesn't grow anymore while we are away from our docs, and Levi's falls due to right-sided weakness would decrease (especially when hiking!). He has his own special hand weight that we can increase or decrease weight as he strengthens. If only we could learn to do the same with our worries.

Thank you so much for praying with us! We cannot carry our weights alone.

~Weighted Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew