Skip to main content

Why

Most three year olds love to ask "Why?" about almost anything. However, Levi's speech resembles more of a two-year olds despite his strong improvement this past year. Whenever he gets frustrated about something, he will either start screaming and crying or become destructive (Levi is only about as destructive as a small puppy compared to his wild dog brothers). When I get down and try to calm him, I'll ask Levi "why?" Why are you crying? Why did you throw that toy? Why are you screaming at the top of your lungs? Often times I already know the answer, or I could ask his older brother for a quick explanation, but I want Levi to practice those three-word sentences that he practices in speech therapy. Like in all of his therapies though, when something seems too difficult to explain with his minimal  motor-planning, too heavy to carry, or just too new and hard to imagine accomplishing in his little frame, Levi reverts to the exhausted tears or slap-happy giggles. If he isn't too tired to tell me, Levi will ingeniously use his deception skills and try not to say more than one simple word: "Ya ya" (which means Si Si, well I guess that's technically two words). No Levi, you can't blame everything on Silas. Then, I'll ask him again. Why are you upset? To which he will then begin to simply mimic, "Why." It's a question not a statement bubba, try again. Eventually, if pushed, Levi can accomplish hard tasks. It takes time, energy and patience, just as it would for all of us experiencing extreme muscle weakness, but we get through those moments and remember that when we are all pushed a little, we can accomplish more than we dared dream. Because of God's grace, "when we are weak, then we are actually strong" (2 For 12:10).
I have asked why about plenty of things lately. Why do infants sleep so much better on their stomach if it's not technically safe? Why does Roman have to have five ear infections in two months before we can schedule his tube surgery (which is now scheduled for next)? Why do kids still get sick in the summer? Isn't that suppose to be when we catch a break on illness? Despite all the wondering, thankfully I have felt the truth of Isaiah 26:3, "you will remain in perfect peace, if you keep your mind on God because you trust in Him." When I take time each day to sit and fill my mind and heart with truth, it really does revive me! It's amazing, and I can't deny the reality of it. All the whys disappear... until the next meltdown from one of the boys, then I begin my interrogations again. :)


Why or rather how could this boy smile so big with so much fluid filling his ears!?

This is the anger later that day after the doc checked his ears. He knew not to drink the smoothie without a straw, but his anger got the best of him.

Meanwhile, sweet Luca got his first bath, and I had helpers this time.

He was the most calm of all the boys after their first cleaning. Maybe cause it's  summer, or maybe cause he's number 4! Why? I'll never know.

Why are you growing so fast!? Happy 1 month baby boy Luca B!

Why was this sweet boy looking so big at his ENT appointment. He had his computer ready and loved one-on-one time with mama.

He wanted to hide away after getting his ears examined again. Praying tube surgery is easy and painless next week! Ro Ro's speech is already starting to explode, but after failing his hearing test, I can't imagine what we are in for when his ears are cleared. I think it will only push Levi to rise to the challenge.

Since Levi has said there may be "Mac and cheese" in his ears, he will get his hearing checked in September along with his GI weight check, Orthopeadic feet check, and hand check. It will be a busy start to the fall, but thankful for all our great docs who answer a lot of our questions!

~Why Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew