Skip to main content

Levi Turns 3!

Looking back, Levi's entire life has been a dance. Sometimes it's a very slow sweet waltz of appreciation and miracles. Other times it's been a sporadic tap or stomp of uncertainty, or an unrehearsed Latin tango of intensity. Most often its been the two-step, when we are literally taking two steps forward and two steps back.
Just after the thrill of removing a piece of plastic from Levi's abdomen and rejoicing that he's outgrowing his 18 month t-shirts, I sat down to hear professional educators prescribe Levi to a full special education classroom with a primary diagnosis of SDD: Severe Developmental Delay, and secondary diagnosis of Speech and Language impairment.
While I had been thoroughly informed of this broad diagnosis, and even though all his current therapists believe a general education setting would be best, when the government met Levi for one hour and had to decide where he best fits, it makes perfect sense not to overwhelm him in a packed preschool.
Even though we were never planning to put Levi in a public preschool, this Individualized Education Plan (IEP), is actually a great resource that will stay in his file for nine years with a three year eligibility rate. We are very grateful for all the loving support available in our state, but I think this pregnant mama just wanted to take this dance two steps at a time instead of two years down the road. I had to remind myself that God has always known Levi's days. He's known his upcoming struggles, his tough milestones, and his setbacks. And God has already prepared me to assist in those parental decision-making opportunities when they arise. Trusting in His perfect plan has helped us get to Levi's third birthday, so I must continue to trust in His education plan regardless of what it looks like nine years down the road. Every single child will face setbacks, so I am grateful for the early practice in sitting in the stands knowing sometimes I just have to watch and learn. I won't always be able to play on the field with all my boys keeping them under mama's wings of protection.
However, since all Levi wanted to do on his birthday was "play," I'm reveling in this sweet, simple season where I get invited to play in every single game.

We are so blessed to watch God grow you little Levi and one day you just won't be so little anymore, but I'm happy right now we can just dance together every day!










As we get ready to visit "Legoland" at the mall this weekend for Levi's bday, I found him playing on his own the other day getting ready. While most wouldn't think twice about this picture, I was utterly in awe because Levi has never played on his stomach for more than a second in the past. Without his G-tube, Levi has newfound comfort with tummy time!  We love you Levi!  Happy birthday bubba!


~Three Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew