Skip to main content

The art of losing

"Mommy, watch this!" "Mommy, mommy, see." "Mommy, watch what I can do!" "Mommy, dis!"

Like most young children, my boys are constantly seeking affirmation, approval, and acknowledgement. I can't even compliment or encourage one child without the other desiring to show me they can do the exact same thing or something better in their eyes. There's a natural (and probably a partial parent-influenced) competition that exists between my boys despite their varying abilities. While I think some sibling rivalry is inevitable, I have to watch and encourage their individuality and remind (my eldest) that not everything is in fact a competition. More importantly in a day where every child seems to get a trophy and many parents fear low self-esteem or self-consciousness in their kids, I think it's important to teach children HOW TO LOSE.
Learning to celebrate others' victories even when it highlights our loss builds a character that many young people have never seen. It's one thing for a child to be self-aware and another to be self-conscious. If my children learn to seek God's approval, then I believe they'll avoid self-consciousness all together. Low self-esteem is not a product of losing or not getting a trophy at the age of seven. It is a result of a world searching for meaning from things that can't fulfill our desire to be affirmed and deeply loved. Once we know how loved we are, then we can learn that we are all given specific and different gifts to sharpen and utilize for a greater purpose. There's no trophy that compares with that.
If we believe God gives us the right victories in the right time, then even our losses have great significance; then, we can joyfully and humbly take the spotlight off of ourselves.

While I'll always be an autumn girl, having boys is really making me love summer more and more. Despite the bug bites and humidity, there's something sweet this summer about just doing summer stuff. Popcicles, fireflies, pools, and freedom to run and roam has been a blast. We are really getting into the games this summer too (well, I should say Silas is finally able to add to his competitive-drive). Four-square, Connect Four, Don't Break the Ice, we are doing it all! Even Levi learned the word "game" this summer, and Roman is begging to open the highly stuffed "board game" cabinet. Here's to many more game nights to come! Happy Summer...

Who needs to go gold-mining when we can scrub rocks at home!?



Loved coming out to all my boys helping set the table for dinner!

First "fruits" of our garden this year! I think I'd love to be a self-sustaining farm family, maybe minus all the intense work it would take to make cheese.

Loving our ice cream nights!

Catching lightening bugs is harder than it looks!

But worth the late bed time.

Just enjoying some final days with my three sons.


So thankful they have each other!


~Losing Buster

Comments

  1. An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a little bit evaluation on this. And he in reality bought me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If attainable, as you turn out to be experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It's highly useful for me. Huge thumb up for this blog submit! gsn casino games

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...