Skip to main content

Planned parenthood

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry"


I don't think there could be a more counter intuitive idea than that of "planned parenthood." Now I'm not making any social or moral comment on the organization with the same title (although it is quite fitting). Rather, I propose that those of us who think we can live by a "plan" are sorely mistaken. Even if you do happen to be someone who went to your college of choice, married at your ideal age, obtained your ideal job, and had exactly the amount of children you desired when you wanted, does not mean that all your plans will continue to come to fruition. In fact, I think it's almost more detrimental to have so many plans succeed without hiccups, because when those gasps for air do eventually occur, they will seem life-threatening.
As a natural "planner" myself, I can see the error in such methodology. I'm thankful that so many of my plans have gone awry so that I can consciously recognize the futility of perfectionist planning.
Of course a man "plans his course" to come degree, hoping to follow goals and aspirations, but if one holds to these plans loosely, he/she isn't as nerved when everything suddenly changes.

I have seen too many people live their life for a certain title, relationship, or child only to lose all three. I've seen those who did everything to plan for retirement and financial security, then discover that they won't have the health to enjoy it.
Thus, the man that boasts about tomorrow, really hasn't actually seen the future, nor does he fathom the fragility of today.

Yes, my eldest child will attend a very small private kindergarten in the fall (the same he's been at the last two years). Does this mean he'll always be in a private school? No. Does this mean all my kids will go to the same school? No.
Yes, I have a child with developmental and medical disabilities. Does this mean I treat him like a baby when he falls terribly on a regular basis or freaks out because he can't physically do what he desires. No. Does this mean he'll always have disabilities? No.
Yes I think baby four will be our last. Does this mean I won't ever have another baby? Not necessarily.

The point - There is so much less pressure to plan for everything when it could all be taken tomorrow.  Live for today. Remind yourself that your plans are not always the best. Remember that "my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus" (Phil 4:19).  In other words, HIS plans are perfect.

I was recently solo for six days and nights with my three littles and a big belly. I can attest to the fact that God always met all my needs, even the need for peace, quiet, and strength at times. Here's how we began our rainy summer start...

Contact paper and cotton balls were a thrilling game for hours.

Look who is rounding first base at UGA's field ( but the boy behind him is not Roman, which is crazy I know!)

Love my "toy builder's" growing capacities. He made these two "rovers" for Mars exploration.

A new family favorite- the classic "Mouse Trap" game.

Make cleaning the trash cans a fun game too.


Who needs a zoo or aquarium when you have the Chattahoochee Nature Center!


Roman is definitely an outdoors man and animal lover. He's hugging the fish here,

And a raccoon here.




Here's to NO Summer Planning. Our only plan - welcome a new baby.

~Planned Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew