Skip to main content

Planned parenthood

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry"


I don't think there could be a more counter intuitive idea than that of "planned parenthood." Now I'm not making any social or moral comment on the organization with the same title (although it is quite fitting). Rather, I propose that those of us who think we can live by a "plan" are sorely mistaken. Even if you do happen to be someone who went to your college of choice, married at your ideal age, obtained your ideal job, and had exactly the amount of children you desired when you wanted, does not mean that all your plans will continue to come to fruition. In fact, I think it's almost more detrimental to have so many plans succeed without hiccups, because when those gasps for air do eventually occur, they will seem life-threatening.
As a natural "planner" myself, I can see the error in such methodology. I'm thankful that so many of my plans have gone awry so that I can consciously recognize the futility of perfectionist planning.
Of course a man "plans his course" to come degree, hoping to follow goals and aspirations, but if one holds to these plans loosely, he/she isn't as nerved when everything suddenly changes.

I have seen too many people live their life for a certain title, relationship, or child only to lose all three. I've seen those who did everything to plan for retirement and financial security, then discover that they won't have the health to enjoy it.
Thus, the man that boasts about tomorrow, really hasn't actually seen the future, nor does he fathom the fragility of today.

Yes, my eldest child will attend a very small private kindergarten in the fall (the same he's been at the last two years). Does this mean he'll always be in a private school? No. Does this mean all my kids will go to the same school? No.
Yes, I have a child with developmental and medical disabilities. Does this mean I treat him like a baby when he falls terribly on a regular basis or freaks out because he can't physically do what he desires. No. Does this mean he'll always have disabilities? No.
Yes I think baby four will be our last. Does this mean I won't ever have another baby? Not necessarily.

The point - There is so much less pressure to plan for everything when it could all be taken tomorrow.  Live for today. Remind yourself that your plans are not always the best. Remember that "my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus" (Phil 4:19).  In other words, HIS plans are perfect.

I was recently solo for six days and nights with my three littles and a big belly. I can attest to the fact that God always met all my needs, even the need for peace, quiet, and strength at times. Here's how we began our rainy summer start...

Contact paper and cotton balls were a thrilling game for hours.

Look who is rounding first base at UGA's field ( but the boy behind him is not Roman, which is crazy I know!)

Love my "toy builder's" growing capacities. He made these two "rovers" for Mars exploration.

A new family favorite- the classic "Mouse Trap" game.

Make cleaning the trash cans a fun game too.


Who needs a zoo or aquarium when you have the Chattahoochee Nature Center!


Roman is definitely an outdoors man and animal lover. He's hugging the fish here,

And a raccoon here.




Here's to NO Summer Planning. Our only plan - welcome a new baby.

~Planned Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...