Skip to main content

Smith family Christmas #2

We are just three days away from one of the best holidays of the year. This is the first year I've never had to travel, and I'm reminded of what Christmas is really suppose to be about because I actually have time to sit, reflect, and be thankful for all God has done in my life. Not to mention His amazing gift of eternal life!  No matter how busy this season seems to be, and no matter how much the world tries to get you to panic and run around like a chicken without your head, I want to encourage you to sit in front of your lit-up Christmas tree, or whatever star-like element you can conjure up in your home (maybe a candle or something if you couldn't get any lights this year), and put on some classical "O Holy Night" music, and just take ten minutes out of your busy life to thank God for your blessings. Thank Him for all He does and remember that life is really really short, so there is no reason to let it pass by with a bunch of stress and frown lines! This may seem easier said than done this year, but trust me, the more you make a point to do it, the more it will happen on a regular basis.

I am getting so many ideas for NEXT year from pinterest, friends, and just random ideas popping into my head.

Next year's traditions:
1. Advent Jesse Tree
2. Buy really tacky Christmas sweaters to wear Christmas morning (they are all gone from Goodwill already!)
3. Make some homemade wreaths
4. Wrap presents with really crafting cute brown paper bags, twine, and left over tree trimmings (instead of ducktape cause I ran out of scotch tape)
5. Get better stocking stuffers (Matthew has no idea how sad his stocking will be-- Santa didn't have a lot to work with this year)
6. Eat less white chocolate chex mix so as not to induce nausea every time (I never learn my lesson)


This years traditions:

Matthew took even days and I took odd. We surprised each other every day with a little goodies.
I have to say that I'm pretty pumped to fill the big 25!
Burlap stocking and a burlap tree skirt! I am loving burlap right now.
I'd love to figure out how to stitch our names on them though.


We also plan to go to the Christmas Eve service at church, watch Home Alone afterward with a giant cheese pizze "just for me", and bake a birthday cake for Jesus!  I love starting new traditions!

~Christmas CubBuster


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...