Skip to main content

Three off the Tracks!

If a high speed train containing twelve connected cars manages to loose just one inch of one wheel on the seventh car, due to a rushed human error, the entire train would derail. However, as seen through children's toys, it takes a little time for the one car to affect the other eleven. There may be a few bumpy spots, but the rest of the locomotive will travel quite well for some time before the whole train stumbles off the track. Similarly, when we run through life on autopilot, we can skip over some significant steps that slowly but surely derail us. We are left in the wake of the aftermath wondering how such a crash occurred and/or could have been avoided. Most of us continue to learn like children. After significant pain, we learn not to touch the "light bulb" again. My third baby boy turned three this week, and touched his first heated light bulb before bedtime reading. Now every night, he reminds all of us: "don't touch the light!" One little burn, and his memory was seared. Likewise, I need little sparks on my railroad to keep me from slowly slipping into old habits of apathy, pride, selfishness, fear, and the like. Thus, my great Father has put us back on the hospital train to keep me purposeful. Without purposeful passion, we put our focus on misplaced dedication: the perfect home, perfect body, perfect vacation, perfect title, perfect accomplishments, perfect relationships. None of which are harmful at first, but give way to empty empathy or disappointing disillusions.
While not the news we wanted, our recent respite seems to have ended. Baby Luca returned to his blood pressure medicine to try and shrink his ever-growing subglottic hemangioma. If the meds don't work in the next few months, we will discuss laser surgery. Moreover, our birthday boy is back on the no-eating train. After a pediatric doctor appointment, his gurgling/cramping belly mixed with low weight-gain sets us up for our GI appointment Monday with the strong possibility of an overdue colonoscopy/endoscopy.
While this may sound disappointing, no one is dying. We are well despite the irritability, and I truly feel peace about our usefulness in hospitals and clinics right now. My little three year-old train man knows the Thomas and his Friends are "really useful," and we should be too! What better way to experience these "little years" than to feel useful in the place God has us. May we rejoice in our lot and see the beauty and purpose in it all.



Two years later... same place, same boy, different world. 

Marta Train ride. Who could have picked an easier birthday wish? Love my Ro. You would have thought we were headed on his first roller coaster :)

A quick visit to a train museum was an added bonus.






My baby is growing up!

Roman was showing me his muscles, his "big boy muscles," as we tried big boy underwear. With all the GI issues, this underwear lasted approximately 10 minutes before it was tossed in the diaper trash. 

Roman thinks we all need to do "righty" work to stay strong. His "twin" does this kind of homework so what else could you expect? (He'll have a great right hook.) 

You are all kinds of strong my third-born three year-old. 

He was excited about a brownie; he requested a birthday brownie; when push came to shove, he didn't eat any brownies. :(

But our funny-man still had a good b-day!

Happy Birthday Wild Man! We love you!
~Train Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...