Skip to main content

Ropes of Love

"It was I who taught them to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I who healed them. For I led them with cords of human kindness and ropes of love; I lifted the yoke from their necks and bent down to feed them." - Hosea 11:3-4

I recently heard a woman say that she became Muslim because the church of Isalm was "obligated" to help her financially when she  could not afford to care for herself and her child. Often times we experience God's love when life is most difficult because people around us reach their arms out to help. It's a natural act of compassion and human kindness.  However, if it's an obligation then is it really an act of love? This sweet woman found out I was a Christian and said when she was young none of the "christians" she knew were very compassionate or helpful to her. While many of us steer clear of labels that have rubbed us roughly, we should be careful not to make sticker generalizations. I'm guilty of making assumptions about people with bumper stickers, and for that reason, I have never placed one on my vehicle in fear of being labeled. However, if we start avoiding "groups" of people that reflect hypocrisy or something we dislike, eventually we will have to stop associating with all humans beings. Then, we'd miss out on that genuine act of love that keeps us from sinking into the deep muck of life. The glimmer of hope heals us from within our circumstances by reaching a rope long enough for us to grab. Without the authentic hand of God reaching down through His human son, and now his authentic human followers who hold His Spirit, we'd be at a loss for love. Our ropes would be all too short to reach one another. So, instead of making broad generalizations, we should seek to get to know one another deeply so that we can see if someone's ropes, or roots, are real or merely producing fake fruit. Without God reaching down through human hands, I would not have made it through my life's valleys with the joy I experienced. His ropes are strong, and when He's taught us enough, we begin to walk on our own without strings attached.


This one isn't walking yet, but he's crawling everywhere now!
Our last cold days, and I just wanted to remember Ro's sweet look at 2! Next time he needs a hat he'll be almost 3!

But we are happy it's Spring!

And ready to play outside!

They keep shifting seats every single spring!

Spring means time to get the garden going!

Spring means cleaning, tossing, and finding our old baby blankets...

Spring means finding our own reflections...

Spring means sticking out our tongues as we concentrate on making a new "resurrection garden" for Easter

Spring means joy!
~Rope Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...