Skip to main content

Thankful doesn't cut it

You know those moments when thank you or gratitude does not seem to capture the essence of your heart. The words seem trite compared to the indescribable fullness that your cup of life contains. You are overflowing with true appreciation, but there aren't any words besides thank you, thankful, or thanksgiving readily available. Well, I feel as though I have more to be thankful for this year than most. We've had our share of familial setbacks and uncertainties lately, but to have all three of our children home, free of a hospital setting, and continuing to grow is a gift beyond words. Not to mention we maintain blessings others never enjoy, such as shelter, warmth, full bellies, and all our daily needs met. It gives me a saddened heart for those sitting in hospital beds this year, or those lost in the cold, those bitter with rage or disillusioned with society, or those simply apathetic and alone. May we reach out in love to everyone we encounter this season. Instead of our shortcomings, our judgements, our comparisons, or our self-righteous advice, may we see the goodness that abounds with plenty wherever we look.

My three turkeys (along with my main man) made my thanksgiving what it was- beautiful.






Love that this boy loves to bake with his mama! (I'm sure the chocolate helps!)

He may not be able to swallow all the components, but liquid chocolate goes down easy! Praying you can eat it all next year bubba!

This boy is proving to be an easy Smith baby! What a gift!

I think they are learning a good habit from mommy and daddy: it's always coffee time.

The Smith family new baby tradition- cardboard rocketship!

Both big boys have been so sweet to new baby Ro Bo.

A solo park trip with three little boys empowered me to take on the world!

Roman's first Thanksgiving was a success!

He wasn't phased by the loud balloon-popping tradition.

Who can find their thankful notes inside!?

Such a reason to give thanks!

Thank you Lord for a sweet Thanksgiving!

~Thankful Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...