Skip to main content

Sheer Strength

I have had several people recently tell me that I am a "strong" person, and I should take some credit for my ability to walk through my story with a smile still on my face.
I do not think this is a coincidence colliding with the fact that Matthew and I recently conversed about the lost art of humility. Humility is lost because even those who desire it, misuse and misunderstand its definition. It is not self-deprecating, nor is it false martyrdom. True humility only exists when the beholder is oblivious to its existence, yet its illumination attracts everyone else.

It is not with modest roots or humility that I claim no credit for my persona or attitude, and I am not blowing smoke when I say that I deserve no accolade. It is sheer honesty when I say that it is God and God alone who enables us to walk with joy in the midst of trials.

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." 1 Peter 5:10
 Before I lose those of you who don't like scripture quoted at you... hear me out...

If I am strong, it is only because God made me that way. It is not something I mustered on my own. Accepting praise for my behavior would be the equivalent of my children taking credit for staying warm and dry during a cold and rainy November morning. They may be comfortable, but it is because I dressed them, turned on the heat, and closed the windows. Taking it further, it is because my husband works so hard to earn money for us to pay bills and live in our home. Even further, I believe the talents and abilities we were given to raise our children, hold a job, and even understand what is means to be warm and dry comes from God. Every talent we possess does not just happen because we will it into existence. As hard as I may try, I don't think I'll ever be able to sing like Carrie Underwood or Aretha Franklin. It is just not going to happen for me, no matter how hard I try. Likewise, no matter how much you want to be a "strong" person, it won't happen for you unless God gives you that ability. I may not happen until you recognize the ultimate giver.

This is what the Lord says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom
    or the strong boast of their strength
    or the rich boast of their riches,"  Jeremiah 9:23

So know that if you ever hear someone say, "It's not me, it's God." It may not be a cliche or over-used church phrase, but rather their honest belief that they can do nothing apart from God. When you are in that close of a relationship with someone, you realize your life would not be what it is without the other person. It's the same for your Heavenly Father. Once you get to know Him.

Levi is starting to like baths!  But Silas does not like Levi's Mohawks I just found out.

He does, however, LOVE the tent we put up in place of the rocket ship!

I cannot wait for the day when we can actually go on a camping trip bud!

Each day is a joy when I get to watch these lives change and grow. Simply miracles.


~Strong Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew