Skip to main content

Numb or Covered?


 The past 48 hours have been quite a roller coaster, and while I should be feeling a lot of emotions, I am not. If feels as though I'm numb from all the constant ups and downs; my mental and emotional capacity has hit its maximum. Or it could just be that God's loving angels are protecting me from losing myself in the storm. The constant prayers that are flooding our family have enabled us to experience a peace that truly does surpass all understanding. Thank you Jesus.

After Levi's constant episodes Monday and Tuesday morning, the doctor actually put him on "high flow," which has been our current goal. It means his lungs are strong enough to get off the bubble CPAP. I was a bit confused, but the doctor explained that when he's not choking or obstructed, he doesn't require additional air, so testing him on the High Flow would help get some of the unnecessary pressure out of his tummy and lungs, which the bubbles from the CPAP can cause. I was thrilled! This means we are closer to trying other "normal" baby functions. Then yesterday came and the doctor informed me that Levi was re-intubated. WHAT!? He's back on the ventilator!? I was shocked. What happened? The doctor felt that even though he wasn't requiring additional air, he was having way too much apnea, and it wasn't good for him to take so long to recover. They tried multiple steps before putting him back on the ventilator, but she really felt like at his age now, it was not healthy to continue to struggle to get enough oxygen to his body and especially brain.

When I went to see Levi last night, the ENT was there to evaluate him. The good news is that he believed much of Levi's issues involved the excessive amount of secretions in his nose. Apparently babies don't know how to breathe out of their mouths for a while, and his nose was filled up with stuff (no one wants to use the word mucus here). :) Additionally, he not only has a small jaw, but he also has a very high arch in the roof of his mouth, both of which will cause build up of secretions and then settle in the back of his throat making it difficult for him to swallow, thus his choking and apnea.
The bad news is that because he had the breathing tube in his throat, he couldn't do his full evaluation of his airway and voice box. Needless to say there are a plethora of problems that could have easy solutions or invasive surgical solutions, but until he can get a full picture of his mouth and throat, there is no telling.

Today, the doctor was happy to here that they can work to get his nose clear, and hopeful that after a few days of rest on the ventilator, we could try to extubate him and get the ENT back to finish the eval. Levi looks pretty peaceful most of the time, but I've had to watch him gag and throw up multiple times. The nurses think it's just his aversion to the big tube that is back in his throat. Ugh.... I'd hate that too!  At least his feeding tube has been placed past his stomach and into his intestine so that he's maintaining good nutrients.

At this point, it's a waiting game. A praying time. A trusting period. There is still so much that is unknown with Levi and so much that we have to leave up to God. Matthew said it best yesterday, "I hope we can continue to respond with faith and trust that God is bigger than all of this because lots of people are watching us at that hospital. When you know God intimately, His presence allows you to feel peace in the midst of the storm."

Thank you so much for praying with us!

-- Pray that Levi won't have to be on the ventilator for long.
-- Pray that Levi won't continue to choke and gag.
-- Pray that Levi's brain will be protected from lack of oxygen during his episodes.
-- Pray that Levi will not have some sort of major anatomical issue that requires plastic surgery.
-- Pray that God would strengthen Levi and our family during periods of waiting.

-- Thank God Levi continues to grow and weighs 5 pounds 4 ounces!
-- Thank God I can continue to provide Levi with food!
-- Thank God Levi had another successful eye exam on Tuesday!
-- Thank God for great doctors and nurses at Northside!
-- Thank God for sweet Silas that constantly brings us joy and wants to hear stories about the adventures of Levi and Silas (his best friend that he's never met).
-- Thank God for each of you!

~Covered Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...