Skip to main content

Knowledge



I've recently been convicted of something that I feel compelled to share because I hope I'm not the only one who is still learning lessons in my life. If my convictions can benefit you, then they are entirely worth it. For those of you who don't understand or like the use of the word "conviction," let me define it for you. There are some who will follow the definition that involves guilt, yet I know others who would still argue that guilt is a negative emotion they'd rather stay far away from even in mere conversation. While an entire debate about whether guilt is negative or positive could ensue, let me pose a different view of the word.  Conviction involves "proving or declaring one as guilty of an offense." For me, this is a perfect word to use for this conversation. 

I confess, I am guilty of seeking to know ALL. Knowledge.... yes this is my crime. Again, I can hear objections to this plea. Hear me out. There is nothing wrong with knowledge in and of itself. However, if you have any knowledge of Adam and Eve's story (whether you believe it to be myth or truth), you know that they were told to stay away from the "tree of knowledge of good and evil." Then the serpent, Satan, twisted God's words and enabled Adam and Eve to question why: "God just doesn't want you to know all that he knows." I'm sure you know the rest of the story. 

You know what? I think every one of us has been struggling with this same issue since the beginning of creation. We think if we can just know what God knows, then we'll be better off. We want to know how to control every aspect of our lives. Fill in the blank with whatever season of life you are in right now. School? Friends? Job? Spouse? Kids? Retirement? Doesn't matter. We all want to know when, how, and why so that we can control the outcome and not have any surprises. Science, technology, and "studies" have certainly aided our society in this endeavor too.

I certainly want to be able to prepare myself for any and every situation, so if I can know enough, then I won't be caught off guard, thus protecting myself from any pain. Isn't that what's it's all about. We just want happiness and peace as abundantly as we can have it. But it's the knowing that's causing the pain. There's something to be said for the expression, "ignorance is bliss." I'm not advocating naivete or stupidity, but I am suggesting we seek to have more faith in many situations we are trying to know all or control all. 

If we had all the knowledge that God has, we wouldn't need faith. And a world without faith is simply not a world. "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1). I certainly what to have faith in peace, faith in joy,  faith in love. This is faith in God. What happened to true faith? Lately, God has proven over and over that He is real, and that I cannot know or understand everything. I thought I knew the outcome of something, and to my joyful surprise, I was wrong. It never felt so good to be wrong. Thank you God that I cannot be you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...