Skip to main content

Being moved by service

God continues to amaze me. No matter how long I know my Savior, He truly gives me more pleasure than anything else on this earth. Matthew and I had the pure blessing of stumbling upon an awesome ministry called 7 Bridges this weekend. It basically works to bring Christ to people in downtown Atlanta in order to get them off the streets.
I have seen a lot of poverty in ATL, but I have never been to the neighborhoods and burbs with such hopeless-seeming poverty as I did today.
We caravanned through various neighborhoods bringing food to all sorts of strangers, yet after a moment of prayer and a hug of love, the word "stranger" didn't seem fitting.

There was one neighborhood that reminded me of the movie The Blindeside where we sung with kids, and passed out toys and food for mothers and their children. Nothing about our day was unmoving, and everything we did blessed us more than it blessed those we met.

I was especially moved by one man, Bobby, who was undoubtedly a seller of drugs. Rough, tough, and maintaining confidence in himself, Bobby talked about knowing who God was and once having a relationship with His son Jesus. However, complications in life have led him to live on the street, which he admitted was all because of his own choices. Once I expressed God's love and purpose for His life, he was moved to tears, as was I. How this exceedingly rough exterior could become so vulnerable, so quickly with a young white girl could only have been a reaction from the Holy Spirit's work. He really wanted the peace he believes comes from living for Christ, but he wasn't ready to make a move away from his life yet. But Bobby did say before I left, "Will I see you again soon Miss Katie?" I definitely believe you will Bobby!  And I can't wait!

I hope you know how blessed you are as you start 2012. Never underestimate what God has planned!

~CubBuster

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...