Skip to main content

Ingles es muy deficil pero pan de calabacín es muy bueno!

I love being able to cook, bake, volunteer, and catch up with friends! This break has been awesome! So the past couple of days I've spent a couple hours teaching immigrants to speak English. At Sandy Spring ESL, volunteers are needed to dictate, review, and teach basic English reading, writing, and speaking skills to mostly spanish-speakers living in the Atlanta area. While slowly (and with much patience-- teaching someone a language when they barely speak it requires a LOT of patience), trying to teach my native language (and being thankful at the same time that I can interject spanish words to help clarify what I'm saying in English), I realized how difficult English is! I mean come on-- why are there so many irregular words that don't follow the general rules? Take plurals for instance-

Goose- Gooses, nope, it's Geese sorry. I have no good explanation for it either.
Person- we don't really use the word Persons much, nope the correct answer is People. Sorry, I don't know why.

Or what's with all the English homophones-

There- Their
Write- Right

Man, I never realized how confusing English was, but I guess I should probably jump on the English is Awesome and Easy to Learn band wagon since I'm about to teach adolescents how amazing and important it is.
Selfishly though, my future students will probably learn to work my soft side. This sweet high school-looking boy was my pupil on Tuesday, and he had to create sentences using verbs turned into nouns. Like, bake into baker or jump into jumper. Well, when he got to the would teach to teacher, my heart melted at his sentence and I knew I was going into the perfect profession. He was so excited that he thought of the perfect sentence, and he enthusiastically exclaimed, "You are the BEST TEACHER!" Wow, I'm a sucker for the suck ups!

Oh, and here's a great recipe I just made for the family-- A yummy and healthy Zucchini Bread 
I tried explaining the concept to Brooke, but she had never heard of such a bread product. Pumpkin bread? Yes. Carrot Cake? Yes. Banana Bread? Yes. But not Zucchini Bread. Give it a shot.

Zucchini Bread
Ingredients
3 cups whole wheat flour (this is the real healthy part-- you can use regular if you want but the whole wheat gives it a nutty flavor)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup of honey
1 cup of milk
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup butter (equals 1 stick-not as healthy)
2 cups zucchini- shredded and uncooked (get your veggies in a good way)
1.5 cups chopped walnuts


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease and flour two small or one large loaf pan
3. Stir together first 7 ingredients and set aside
4. Place milk, eggs, butter, honey, and zucchini in a large mixing bowl
5. Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is blended. Add in walnuts
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove and cool on rake for 5 minutes. 


Tips
* Can be great warm with a little butter spread
* Be sure you don't put the extra zucchini peals down the garbage disposal or you'll clog it up in the pipe like I did! 
* If you run out of walnuts because you misread how many walnuts to add, you can also substitute sliced almonds, but the walnuts bites will be better in my opinion
*Remember to take a picture so you can show it on your blog before its all eaten!
ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...